Saturday, March 8, 2008

Girl by the Shenandoah River



My second foray into painting on top of a photograph. We would always go to Harper's Ferry when life was getting stressed out or difficult, sit on top of the mountains there and just talk to God and each other. This painting is trying to depict such a scene. It seems that Jesus would usually go to a mountain to pray, and it always made sense to do the same. The river is the Shenandoah where it runs into the Potomac. The Shenandoah is my favorite place to be, peaceful, flowing. It is a wonderful place, where the rivers divide the states of Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. We usually sat on the West Virginia side on the hill and just thought, prayed and soaked in the beauty of our God's creation.

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills
From where will my help come?
My help comes from the LORD
Who made heaven and earth."

Psalm 121:1,2

The second version is with a sepia photo filter, gives it a bit of a meditative edge.

No comments: